Best Art Event
- First Friday started in 2003 with just 6 venues, and under two dozen people attending.
- Santa Cruz County Bank was one of the first venues, and has participated in nearly every First Friday since.
- There are often new venues, making First Friday a unique experience each time.
- The core mission is developing culture in the county by promoting local artists. Through the years, over 1,000 artists have been featured.
- The number of participating venues on any given Friday varies, but has been known to exceed 40. AARON CARNES
Best Art Gallery (Retail)
- Artisans has been through many phases since its opening in 1976, when it started as a co-op. Today itâ€™s owned by Linnaea Holgers James, whoâ€™s worked at the gallery since she was 16. She purchased it in 2009 at the age of 32.
- Linnaea and husband Peter opened Agency, dedicated to to modern home goods, down the street in 2015, allowing more space for art, jewelry and other items..
- Artisans was the first place to feature the work of Doug Ross, who passed away last December and is featured in this issue.
- One section of Artisans is devoted exclusively to kids, where parents can find unique toys, games and clothingâ€”for instance, puppets made from recycled sweaters. Thereâ€™s also a playhouse where kids can play while their parents shop.
- Itâ€™s not uncommon for customers to see the local artists featured by Artisans in the store, as they frequently drop in to discuss ideas with Linnaea. AC
Best Festival (Music)
- Begun in 1993 by Phil Lewis and Bill Welch as the Santa Cruz Blues Festival, the Santa Cruz American Music Festival is one of the longest-running music festivals in the area.
- The festival changed its name to the Santa Cruz American Music Festival in 2015, also broadening its scope to include Americana acts.
- The festival has introduced locals to many up-and-coming acts who later found success; for instance, the first time Trombone Shorty played it in 2008, he was unknown on the West Coast. Heâ€™s since played the festival several times.
- Things can get â€¦ spontaneous, like in 2012, when blues guitarist Chris Cain attended the festival as an audience member, with no intention of performing. He later found himself on stageâ€”drunk, dressed in coveralls, and playing Debbie Daviesâ€™ pink guitar while lying on his back.
- The lineup for this yearâ€™s festival (May 27 and 28) includes Melissa Etheridge, the Devil Makes Three and The Rides (pictured), featuring Stephen Stills, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Barry Goldberg. AC
Best Movie Theater
The Del Mar
- Originally opened in 1936, and then closed in 1999 after struggling financially for years, it was extensively restored and reopened in 2002. Today the theater hosts a combination of indie and mainstream films.
- The theater has had many configurations, starting as a single screen theater with a balcony and temporarily serving as a fourplex. Today it has three screens. Itâ€™s also hosted live showsâ€”the Grateful Dead even played there.
- Comedian Andy Samberg worked at the theater as a ticket taker from 1996 to 1998, while attending UCSC.
- Del Mar hosts the Secret Film Festival, which is in its 12th year. The movies airing in the festival remain a secret until show time, which last from midnight till noon the next day. Itâ€™s a mix of genre and indie films, primarily ones that have never been shown in Santa Cruz.
- The theaterâ€™s newest owner Landmark is currently in the process of restoring the neon on the marquee. It should be completed later this year. AC
RUNNERS-UP Capitola Art & Wine Festival, Open Studios Art Tour
Art Gallery (Retail)
1368 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Felix Kulpa Gallery, Many Hands Gallery
RUNNERS-UP Joe Cosentino, Marie Gabrielle
RUNNERS-UP Jonathan Franzen, Laurie King
Pacific Arts Complex
1122 Soquel Ave ., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Agape Dance Academy, Tannery World Dance
Capitola Art & Wine Festival
RUNNERS-UP Santa Cruz Film Festival, Watsonville Film Festival
RUNNERS-UP Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music, Santa Cruz Music Festival
RUNNERS-UP Capitola Art & Wine Festival, Pleasure Point Street Fair
Kidsâ€™ Art Program
Studio Sprout Â
RUNNERS-UP Kaiwa Art and Play Space, Seven Directions Â Â Â
The Del Mar
1124 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP CineLux Capitola, Nickelodeon
62 Soquel Ave., Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP E.A. Hall Middle School, Shopperâ€™s Corner
Museum of Art & History
705 Front St., Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP Capitola Historical Museum, Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History
RUNNERS-UP Alexandra Rice, Shmuel Thaler
RUNNERS-UP Max Goodwin, Gary Young
Radio Personality (Local)
RUNNERS-UP Laurie Roberts, â€œSleepyâ€ John Sandidge
RUNNERS-UP 1080 AM KSCO, 88.1 KZSC
Television Personality (Local)
Dan Green Â
RUNNERS-UP Lee Solomon, Phil Gomez
Television Newscast (Local)
KSBW Â Â
RUNNERS-UP CYT Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz Shakespeare