Or at least here are the top five things that I read about since I wasn’t actually there:
5. Dexter: Season 5 Trailer – (Heads up, do NOT click on that link until you’ve seen the unbelievable finale to season 4 from last year) Michael C. Hall has already earned his status as one of the finest actors of this generation for his performance as David Fisher on HBO’s masterful series Six Feet Under – but man, if he isn’t close to outdoing himself on Dexter: Showtime’s profoundly addictive series about a serial killer with a moral code who only pursues those who deserve to be murdered (aka other killers).The new season kicks off this September and the trailer unveiled offers a glimpse at yet another year full of the kind of high caliber storytelling the show’s become known for.
4. Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch trailer – Even if you didn’t care for Snyder’s Watchmen adaptation (which I absolutely adored), it’s hard to deny that the guy has some serious visual chops and his next flick promises to deliver even more of the director’s trademark visceral style. While I honestly don’t have any idea what actually happened in that trailer, whatever it was just sold one ticket.
3. The Avengers Panel – Here you go Marvel nerds. I still have every expectation that Joss Whedon will seriously drop the ball with what would ideally be the ultimate flick in terms of fan service, so I’d soak up every second of anticipation I could if I were you guys. I can’t deny that it’s pretty cool to see the cast up there ready to tackle what is lining up to be perhaps the most ambitious superhero flick ever made (up until DC takes a crack the JLA at least) and I sincerely hope they manage to at the very least come close to pulling it off.
2. An All Star Superman Animated Movie! – Now this was probably the biggest news that went completely under the radar. A fully animated feature adaptation of Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly’s 12 issue masterpiece definitely has my nerd pulse pumping. Sure I have yet to really be blown away by any of the straight to video animated DC universe flicks released thus far (some of which are just flat out terrible *cough*Superman/Doomsday*cough*), but the source material here is so fantastic that it should be next to impossible to completely screw up. Fingers crossed.
1. The “Green Lantern Kid” -I really hope that this was genuine and not staged by Warner Bros. to garner some good will towards the Green Lantern flick (after a slightly disappointing first look from Entertainment Weekly at Ryan Reynold’s in full costume). If it turns out to be legit than it’s probably one of the most adorable moments in the history of any con I can remember. I’m pretty sure that if you pay close attention to the moment right after Reynold’s finishes reciting the Green Lantern oath you can actually SEE the kid’s mind being blown. Good stuff.