- Seabright Beach is technically part of Twin Lakes State Beach.
- The beach has a small rock arch that the San Lorenzo River runs through.
- Seabright Beach is one of the countyâ€™s best spots for a bonfire.
- The beach is positioned between the Beach Boardwalk and the Santa Cruz Harbor.
- Lifeguards are present during the summer, and dogs (on a leash) are welcome year round. CAT JOHNSON
Best Nonprofit Group
Homeless Garden Project
- The Homeless Garden Project provides job training, transitional employment and support services to people who are homeless.
- The garden has a strong emphasis on creating community between staff, trainees, volunteers and the larger Santa Cruz community.
- HGP programs include Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), Womensâ€™ Organic Flower Enterprise, community-building initiatives, and a store on Pacific Avenue.
- The Homeless Garden Project was created in May of 1990.
- In 1998, the City of Santa Cruz adopted a Master Plan for an open space greenbelt which includes a nine-acre permanent site for the Homeless Garden Project. CJ
Best Boardwalk Ride
- The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk added the Fireball ride in 2003.
- Itâ€™s a swinging, spinning claw designed to create disorientation and g-force.
- At the same time, the Fireball is considered one of the smoothest rides at the Boardwalk.
- Itâ€™s been described as a ride for â€œthrill seekers and punishment freaks.â€
- The faint of heart in your group might want to sit this one out. CJ
East Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP Capitola Beach, Twin Lakes Beach
West Cliff Drive
RUNNERS-UP Pogonip, Wilder Ranch
400 Beach St., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Carousel, Giant Dipper
RUNNERS-UP Pain Jennerator, Shamrock N Roller
Aptos Polo Grounds
2255 Huntington Drive, Aptos
RUNNERS-UP Frederick Street, Scotts Valley Dog Park
Aptos Farmers Market at Cabrillo Â
6500 Soquel Drive, Aptos, 728-5060
RUNNERS-UP Downtown, Westside Â
Local Athlete (non-Derby)
RUNNERS-UP Tobin Ortenblad, Luke Rockhold
Jacqui Rice (SLV School District)
RUNNERS-UP Keith McHenry (Food Not Bombs), Nat Young
RUNNERS-UP Pleasure Point, Westside
Homeless Garden Project Â
1120 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz (store),
RUNNERS-UP Save Our Shores, Second Harvest Food Bank
Place of Worship
Twin Lakes Church
2701 Cabrillo College Drive, Aptos,
RUNNERS-UP Inner Light Ministries, Vintage Faith Church
Place to Walk/Jog/Hike
West Cliff Drive
RUNNERS-UP Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, Forest of Nisene Marks State Park
Land of Medicine Buddha
5800 Prescott Road, Soquel
RUNNERS-UP Mount Hermon Conference Center, Mount Madonna Center
Chaminade Resort & Spa
1 Chaminade Ln, Santa Cruz