Best Bike Shop
- Electronic bike sales have more than doubled in the past year.
- They now account for 20 percent of total bike sale revenue at Bicycle Trip, says manager Mike Moore. E-bikes start at $1,400, with an average price of about $3,000.
- Bicycle Trip has four metal pipes that altogether can hang a total of 120 bicycles from the ceiling. Each rack comes down with the flip of a switch.
- The store launched the nonprofit Project Bike Tech in 2008 to teach repairs and maintenance to budding adolescent bicycle mechanics at local schools.
- Owners Aaron Jacobs, Rachael Jacobs and Berri Michel just purchased a bike shop in Capitola’s Brown Ranch Marketplace, which they’re renaming Bicycle Trip Capitola. They’re remodeling the store right now, and they plan to remodel the Soquel Avenue location next. JACOB PIERCE
Best Golf Course
- The toughest hole on DeLaveaga’s 18-hole course is the notorious 10th hole, a 590-yard monster par-5 with little room for error on its narrow fairway.
- Rumor has it there’s a retired dentist from Aptos who teed off on the 10th one spring day in 2009 and is still trying to get to the green.
- The architect of DeLaveaga is course designer Bert Stamps, whose work also includes the Mesquite Golf Club in Palm Springs, the Las Vegas National Golf Club, the San Luis Obispo Country Club and several others.
- Yes, you can play golf at DeLa without clubs or balls. The course accommodates those who love disc golf with an adjacent 27-hole course for disc golfers. Plus, twice a week—Wednesdays and Sundays in the afternoon—the regular course’s front nine is opened up for disc golfers.
- The current head pro at DeLaveaga is Tim Loustalot, who played on the PGA tour throughout the 1990s. WALLACE BAINE
Best Surf School
Surf School Santa Cruz
- Owner/operator Bud Freitas has been surfing since he was 6 years old, growing up a quick dash from the surf breaks at Pleasure Point.
- Today, Freitas oversees a dozen instructors in teaching not only the fundamentals of surfing, but also the finer points of surf culture, from love of the ocean to behavior out in the line-up. “To us,” he says, “it’s all about respect for the ocean and respect for everyone in the water.”
- After operating at Pleasure Point for more than eight years, Surf School Santa Cruz has now opened a West Side branch, and is taking novice surfers out on the break at Cowell Beach.
- Freitas estimates that about 60 to 70 percent of his clientele are adults coming to surfing for the first time, and that it takes about six to 10 hours in the water for a newbie to feel comfortable on a surfboard.
- The surf school offers private lessons, which means that your lessons are either one-on-one with an instructor, or with a small group of your own choosing. WB
Best Yoga Studio
- Luma Yoga has had more than 95,000 studio visits since opening in 2012.
- It offers childcare for parents taking classes.
- There are prenatal and postnatal classes for soon-to-be and new mothers.
- Besides yoga classes, the studio offers wellness services like acupuncture and massage.
- Luma hosts yoga teacher trainings specializing in toddler and teen yoga. GEORGIA JOHNSON
200 7th Ave., #115, Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP Communi-Qi Acupuncture, Dr. Maureen Rozenn
1001 Soquel Ave., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Another Bike Shop, Epicenter, Family Cycling Center
3600 Soquel Ave, Santa Cruz
140 Dubois St. Ste. C,
RUNNERS-UP CannaCruz, Santa Cruz Naturals
Dr. Rhodes Walton
317 Potrero St. C, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Dr. Masi Bayless, Dr. Duncan McCollum
1619 Seabright Ave, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Crossfit West, Studio 831
2901 Park Ave # C1, Soquel
RUNNERS-UP Kevin Ippisch, DDS, A. Gavin McClure, DDS
Steven Leib, MD
9500 Central Ave., Ben Lomond, 336-3200
RUNNERS-UP Rachel Abrams, MD, Kimberly Owens, MD
2840 Park Ave., Ste. A, Soquel, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Tonya Fleck, ND; Aimée Gould Shunney, ND
Veronica Franco @ La Raux
2165 41st Ave., Capitola
RUNNERS-UP Cheladee Bianchini @ Cheladees Holistic Skincare Studio, Hazel Chadwick @ The Nook
401 Upper Park Road, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Pasatiempo, Seascape
113 Lincoln St., Santa Cruz, 423-3764
1200 17th Ave., #108, Santa Cruz, 464-3764
6200 Soquel Drive, Aptos, 475-5979
2929 Mission St. Extension, Santa Cruz, 466-3764
269 Mount Hermon Road, Scotts Valley, 430-9200
RUNNERS-UP In-Shape, Santa Cruz Core
4626 Soquel Drive, Soquel,
RUNNERS-UP Kaijin Mixed Martial Arts, Minorsan Self-Defense & Fitness
317 Potrero St., Suite C,Santa Cruz,
RUNNER-UP Jenny Call
317 Potrero St. Suite C, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Jocelyn Dubin @ Nourish, Healthy Way
1773 Dominican Way, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP John A. Hedrick, North Coast Orthodontics
1440 41st Ave., Capitola, 479-1501
136 River St., Santa Cruz, 423-9555
RUNNERS-UP Down Works, Patagonia
RUNNERS-UP Jason Lenington @ Toadal Fitness, Carina Reid @ Toadal Fitness
Way of Life
1220 41st Ave., Capitola,
RUNNERS-UP New Leaf Community Markets, Santa Cruz CORE Fitness, Staff of Life
Pleasure Point Pilates
22602 E Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Agile Monkey Pilates Studio, Body in Motion, BodyFit
26 Rancho Del Mar, Aptos,
RUNNER-UP Santa Cruz Running Company
790 Mariner Park Way, Dock FF, Santa Cruz, 423-1213, chardonnay.com
RUNNERS-UP O’Neill Yacht Charters, Pacific Sail
Derby Skate Park
508 Woodland Way, Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP Scotts Valley, Skypark
1240 Soquel Ave., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Boardroom, Skateworks
Helm of Sun Valley
1408 41st Ave., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Outdoor World, Play It Again Sports
Well Within Spa
417 Cedar St., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Caress Day Spa, Chaminade
Well Within Spa
417 Cedar St., Santa Cruz,
RUNNER-UP Tea House Spa, Sage Float Spa
Play It Again Sports
4770 Soquel Drive, Soquel,
RUNNERS-UP Outdoor World, Santa Cruz Running Company
2214 E. Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Covewater, Kayak Connection
3548 Portola Drive, Santa Cruz
345 Swift St., Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Club Ed, Richard Schmidt
RUNNERS-UP Arrow, Freeline
RUNNERS-UP Hook, Steamer’s Lane
303 Potrero St. #15, Santa Cruz,
RUNNERS-UP Seahorse Swim School, Simpkins Family Swim Center
555 Soquel Ave., Santa Cruz
RUNNERS-UP Lena Axelsson, Emmanuel Denike
RUNNERS-UP Maya Lev, Victor Dubin
1010 Center St., Santa Cruz, 325-2620,
RUNNERS-UP DiviniTree Yoga, Pure Power Yoga, Santa Cruz Yoga